Ray Allen Just Got Traded to the Celtics :|

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

for Delonte West, the 5 pick (Jeff Green), and Wally S (I'm not even gonna try)

Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts

im happy with it, ray allen and paul pierce doin work this year, i will miss delonte though

piper77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 piper77
Member since 2003 • 2245 Posts
Gave up too much to get an aging player. Danny Ainge contiues to demonstrate his lack of knowledge when handling personel. I have never seen the Celtics franchise as low as it is right now, and there's not end in sight.
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NetYankEagle
Member since 2007 • 11090 Posts

im happy with it, ray allen and paul pierce doin work this year, i will miss delonte though

BeanTownBrown86
that combo aint good at all on paper yes but Allen is 32 i dont know how old pierce is but this was a bad trade by Celtics just dumb
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

Gave up too much to get an aging player. Danny Ainge contiues to demonstrate his lack of knowledge when handling personel. I have never seen the Celtics franchise as low as it is right now, and there's not end in sight. piper77

are you crazy? allen had his highest ppg ever last season. granted, he missed like 25 games and might be a little injury prone, but he's still one of the best shooters in the league.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts
[QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"]

NetYankEagle

that combo aint good at all on paper yes but Allen is 32 i dont know how old pierce is but this was a bad trade by Celtics just dumb

I agree. Unless they trade Pierce, this is a bad move.

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NetYankEagle

[QUOTE="piper77"]Gave up too much to get an aging player. Danny Ainge contiues to demonstrate his lack of knowledge when handling personel. I have never seen the Celtics franchise as low as it is right now, and there's not end in sight. romocop33

are you crazy? allen had his highest ppg ever last season. granted, he missed like 25 games and might be a little injury prone, but he's still one of the best shooters in the league.

Allen had a high PPG because Lewis was out for most of the season.
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
[QUOTE="romocop33"]

[QUOTE="piper77"]Gave up too much to get an aging player. Danny Ainge contiues to demonstrate his lack of knowledge when handling personel. I have never seen the Celtics franchise as low as it is right now, and there's not end in sight. NetYankEagle

actually allen missed more games than lewis did last season. lewis missed 22 to allen's 27.

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NetYankEagle
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"][QUOTE="romocop33"]

[QUOTE="piper77"]Gave up too much to get an aging player. Danny Ainge contiues to demonstrate his lack of knowledge when handling personel. I have never seen the Celtics franchise as low as it is right now, and there's not end in sight. romocop33

actually allen missed more games than lewis did last season. lewis missed 22 to allen's 27.

that wasnt my point the point was Allen would get more points when there wasnt a 2nd go to guy.
piper77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 piper77
Celts are missing the huge man in the middle. They should have picked Yi. I bet Allen won't be on the team in the next couple of years. You have to think about the future, because Paul Pierce isn't going to be around forever.
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NetYankEagle

Celts are missing the huge man in the middle. They should have picked Yi. I bet Allen won't be on the team in the next couple of years. You have to think about the future, because Paul Pierce isn't going to be around forever. piper77
i was thinkign the same thing. If only they kept ricky davis:( Im not a celtics fan seeing how i have a Nets sig but I like to see the EAST get strong and just imagince that Celtics lineup being

G-West

G-Davis

F-Pierce

F-Jefferson

C-Yi

would have been a hell of a team

viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

It's not an ideal fit at first glance but for what we gave up (not all that much besides the pick) I like it. Really would have liked it if Robert Swift was coming back as well, but guess that wasn't happening.

Jefferson in the paint, Pierce the slasher, Allen on the perimiter. Not great defensively but not a bad trio for the East. Ray Allen is still super nice and in his prime, he's going to be a high caliber player for at least another 4-5 years. Same for Pierce.

Now Danny needs to turn Theo's contract, Gerald Green and a future pick into another complimentary vet. I don't think the offseason is over for Boston quite yet.

NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NetYankEagle

It's not an ideal fit at first glance but for what we gave up (not all that much besides the pick) I like it. Really would have liked it if Robert Swift was coming back as well, but guess that wasn't happening.

Jefferson in the paint, Pierce the slasher, Allen on the perimiter. Not great defensively but not a bad trio for the East. Ray Allen is still super nice and in his prime, he's going to be a high caliber player for at least another 4-5 years. Same for Pierce.

Now Danny needs to turn Theo's contract, Gerald Green and a future pick into another complimentary vet. I don't think the offseason is over for Boston quite yet.

viberooni
i doubt by 38 Allen would be good
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 viberooni
[QUOTE="viberooni"]

NetYankEagle

i doubt by 38 Allen would be good

Reggie Miller was older than 38 when he retired, you don't forget how to shoot the ball. Allen's skills should translate nicely as he gets older.

Anyway he's got 3 years left on his contract. I see this as the first step of management trying to take advantage of this 3-4 year window of Pierce's prime, and for that time period Allen should be a beast in the East as long as he's healthy.

Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gamer556
Member since 2006 • 3846 Posts
This was a really dumb move. They should have picked Yi and stuck with it.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Great trade in my opinion.

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
great trade.............for the sonics. celtics just got knocked out first by not getting first or second pick and now by the sonics teabagging that franchise. celtics have no clue what to do and if i was a celtics fan i would probably just walk away. or go to games and get people to walk out or wear bag on my head. celtics = worst draft ever. this draft is as bad is portland taking sam bowie over MJ
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 viberooni

great trade.............for the sonics. celtics just got knocked out first by not getting first or second pick and now by the sonics teabagging that franchise. celtics have no clue what to do and if i was a celtics fan i would probably just walk away. or go to games and get people to walk out or wear bag on my head. celtics = worst draft ever. this draft is as bad is portland taking sam bowie over MJxbox360isgr8t

Look I'll agree that Danny Ainge is making this up as he goes along, but how is this not at least a fair trade? The Sonics get a decent backup combo guard with personality, a one dimensional wing with a bad contract, and a solid rookie that could have gone anywhere from 5-10 in the draft.

Boston gets a 7 time all-star in Ray Allen, a great character guy and one of the best SG's in the league. Just turned 32 and coming off one of the best statistical seasons of his career. He's not over the hill yet - Steve Nash is 33, Jason Kidd is 34, Rasheed Wallace is turning 33, these guys can still play. Plus we kept all our best young players (and Ratliff's expiring contract) and picked up first round talent in the second round.

The team is far from finished - Celtics still need a veteran PG, another center and DEFENSE. I probably would have picked Corey Brewer if I were GM. But there's no way this trade was horrible unless Allen becomes only a shell of his former self in a Celtics uniform, and there's no way to know that right now.

aubsurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aubsurd
Member since 2003 • 310 Posts
ray allen is 32, had season ending surgery on both of his ankles, cant play D, & dominates the ball.
as a Sonics fan I didn't have a problem with Ray shooting the rock. It was him constantly holding the ball then trying to take someone one on one = him turning it over, or shooting a contested fadeaway + also he likes to shoot 3's in transition with no rebounders.

oh yeah anyone can average 26 a game when they take 25 shots a game.
360wishlist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 360wishlist
Member since 2006 • 331 Posts
great trade for both teams,,,but only for a while for Celtics. Sonics get great young players and talent. Cs get a sweet duo in Pierce and Allen, but their time is nearly up. Ainge should think ahead, atleast hes bought some time with this trade tho...
anklebreakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 anklebreakr
Member since 2007 • 254 Posts

no doubt it was a better trade for the sonics.

for the celtics, i like what Screamin A. Smith said, there's no way they're gonna be major contenders in 08, so might as well get fans to fill the seats and make more money.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts
I have to just say that this was an ok trade, not an excellent trade, just average. I agree that the C's gave up too much in this trade. Positively, with Allen, the Celtics ppg just went up. C's have one of the purest SG in the NBA to accompany Pierce. All the C's need right now is a dominant big man. I am more than likely to consider going to a C's game now than I ever did. Let's hope the C's get some serious defense.
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts

[QUOTE="piper77"]Celts are missing the huge man in the middle. They should have picked Yi. I bet Allen won't be on the team in the next couple of years. You have to think about the future, because Paul Pierce isn't going to be around forever. NetYankEagle

i was thinkign the same thing. If only they kept ricky davis:( Im not a celtics fan seeing how i have a Nets sig but I like to see the EAST get strong and just imagince that Celtics lineup being

G-West

G-Davis

F-Pierce

F-Jefferson

C-Yi

:lol: Yi as the center? He's aforward that can shoot, he's not physical enough to handle the center position....

piper77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 piper77
[QUOTE="NetYankEagle"]

[QUOTE="piper77"]Celts are missing the huge man in the middle. They should have picked Yi. I bet Allen won't be on the team in the next couple of years. You have to think about the future, because Paul Pierce isn't going to be around forever. Ngamer05

G-West

G-Davis

F-Pierce

F-Jefferson

C-Yi

:lol: Yi as the center? He's aforward that can shoot, he's not physical enough to handle the center position....

He's big enough to fill in center or at least, add size up front. Celts have shooters, but can't defend the ball. We needed that extra huge body in there to fill in the gaps, now we still need the huge body to fill in the gaps. We gained nothing with the trade, and I think the Sonics is going to have a better team as soon as next year, and maybe be championship caliber in a couple of years.

for the celtics, i like what Screamin A. Smith said, there's no way they're gonna be major contenders in 08, so might as well get fans to fill the seats and make more money.

Steven A Smith is annoying, and I can't stand the guy. The fans aren't going to fill in the seats if we keep having losing seasons. They want a winner, not superstars.

viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 viberooni

Gained nothing? We turned Wally Sczcerbiak's contract and Delonte West's minutes into Ray Allen, still one of the premier pure SG's in the league. We gave Paul the best player he's ever played with, same goes for Ray. And we kept all our major chips for future trades or just the future in general, plus remained fairly flexible with salary (Ray and PP both expire in 3 years, thats alot of expiring contract money).

This team is unfinished, but with one or two more moves I can really see something emerging that can contend in the East for the next 3-4 years. Yi is a 7' SF right now and a question mark, especially if your concern is defending the ball. I was never completely sold on anyone available at 5, and if we picked there I was resigned to trading Paul Pierce and really being terrible next season in all out rebuild mode. We took it in the other direction, so hopefully we make a few more moves that and really try to make some noise in the next 2-3 years.

After some time I think we made a good trade. We got the best player by far without giving up much at all, and I'm willing to give management a pass until the season's roster is fully set before passing final judgement on the offseason. Time wil tell.

CmdrMCLinkses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 CmdrMCLinkses
Member since 2007 • 778 Posts
[spoiler] I don't know. I haven't paid much attention to the sonics this year. [/spoiler]
Riley767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Riley767
Member since 2007 • 1687 Posts
yea this is big for the Celtics they got Paul Pierce and Ray Allen,"Huge"
smallville206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 smallville206
Member since 2006 • 817 Posts
I'll miss Allen and don't know how this move helps keep basketball in Seattle after this upcoming season if we have another losing season with a bunch of young guys, but if by some miracle they do, the future is bright due to this trade.
yellbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 yellbell
Member since 2006 • 694 Posts
Of coourse the Sonics go the better side of the trade.
tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#32 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts

I guess we'll have to wait and see how things will ultimately pan out, but I feel as if Ainge had to make a move and get some additional verteran leadership and scoring help for Paul Pierce. Initially I thought this was a decent trade, but giving up Delonte AND the 5th pick in the draft is too much for my liking. In a couple of years, this trade will prove to be a horrible move for the franchise as Ray Allen and Pierce will both have most likely moved on...Delonte will continue to improve and shine on a re-vamped Sonics team and Big Al will be left all alone. Like I thought before, Ainge does not know what he's doing and he's screwing up the team...either take a five year hiatus and rebuild or get the talent needed to produce results...you can't do both...Ray Allen will not get this team a championship ring...maybe a playoff birth due to the lack of competition in the eastern conference...desperate actions rarely yield successful results...